English Premier League – Leicester City tops the English Premier League and increased the pressure on Chelsea with a 2-1 victory at King Power Stadium.
Jamie Vardy’s 15th goal of the season put Leicester City ahead before half-time and Riyad Mahrez’s brilliant curling strike just after the break sealed the win for Claudio Ranieri’s side.
Chelsea substitute Loic Remy pulled one back but Leicester survived in relative comfort to move back ahead of Manchester City at the top of the table.
The reigning English Premier League champions, on the other hand, lie just a point off the relegation zone in 16th place with Mourinho fighting for survival.
- Leicester City have scored in every Premier League game this season.
- Jamie Vardy has now scored or assisted in 14 consecutive Premier League games.
- Only Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (18) has netted more goals in Europe’s top five leagues this season than Jamie Vardy (15).
- This loss was Chelsea and Jose Mourinho’s 9th defeat in the English Premier League this season.
- The Blues have lost 9+ of their opening 16 top-flight games for the first time since 1978-79, a season in which they were relegated.
- Ninety-six teams have gained 15 points or fewer from their opening 16 games, 50 were relegated and the average finishing position of those 96 teams was 17th.
Leicester City Tops The English Premier League | SGSoccerPitches | Singapore Soccer Pitches